Axle Canyon Preserve, an 83 acre riparian and upland madrean area canyon is surrounded by the Gila National Forest in Southwestern New Mexico. Situated at 6000' on a western aspect of the Burro Mountains, Axle Canyon Preserve offers visitors the expansive feel for which New Mexico is famous. One can enjoy breathtaking views in all directions, including Animas Peak at over 10,000' in the plains of the Bootheel, Peloncillo Mountains, Chirachahua Mountains, Mt. Graham, and Mt. Lemon near Tucson, AZ, 100 miles to the west.
Giant Cottonwood, Populus wislizeni
Axle Canyon Preserve is dedicated to sustainable living by:
- Generating 100% of its electrical needs from solar energy
- Restoring riparian areas of Mulberry Canyon to improve the diverse habitat for plants and wildlife
- Creating a safe haven from hunting and off road vehicles for wildlife
- Managing rain water runoff and recharging underground water supplies
- Preserving quiet recreation areas
- Protecting night time skies from artificial light
Great hiking, magnificent night skies, a wide variety of wildlife, birding, incredible sunsets can be found in Southwestern New Mexico at Axle Canyon Preserve.
Schools, organizations and individuals seeking an outdoor classroom environment are encouraged to inquire. Axle Canyon Preserve offers the perfect setting for organizations seeking a quiet remote setting for retreats.